DESIGNING THE GARDEN | Laveda D. Rockford



DESIGNING THE GARDEN

I have been excited because I will have a new plot of land to work with soon. A blank slate of ground except for a lone birdbath off-center that I must incorporate into my design. I have looked through my flower gardening books and produced some promising ideas. After having realized that I only have a small amount of time to care for a garden, I have decided against having a maraud of flowers even though I want to be surrounded with beauty. And instead, I will have flowering trees and shrubs and watch the seasons change with brilliance and splendor.

To explain the beauty, I will describe it as only a writer can.

In late winter, the warmth spreading across the resting snow-covered ground will surprise the eyes with green foliage breaking through to feel what little warmth the late winter sun can give. Its beautiful flowers begin to bloom when the flowering dogwood begins to arise from its winter sleep. It blossoms about the same time as the tulips that will be dotted sparingly around the ground throughout the garden to carry the eye from one awakening to another as spring arrives in its full regalia.

At that time, the small vegetable garden is ready for planting. I can taste the fresh ripe tomato, bell pepper, lettuce, and other veggies for meals straight from the ground to table. In front of the vegetable garden will be a rose garden. The beautiful smell of roses drifting through the air to the porch for me to appreciate during enjoyable evenings while drinking tea and reading an enjoyable book.

On the opposite corner from the Flowering Dogwood will be a Pearl bush with evening lighting that will highlight the white flowers bringing interest to the area and brighten the dark, back corner of the yard.

Lilac and Crape Myrtle bushes will bring their own delightful colors. Spirea, Summersweet, and Sedum will not be forgotten in the surrounding area for a delightful summer into autumn interest.

One Butterfly Bush will fill the corner closest to the birdbath to assist those charmingly winged visitors that I love so much.

Then the leaves begin to change showing signs of autumn. The leaves float softly to the ground, seasons change giving rest to the trees and shrubs after a long season of showy foliage and flowers. And waiting for the spring to begin again will be me watching for that first flower to appear.

If all goes well, I will have this yard planted and established before winter comes this year. What a lovely idea when a plan comes together.

I hope you are dreaming of something beautiful to do or have. Many stores have plants on sale or reduced at this time of the year. Add one new plant to your yard if you can. Sometimes it is all that you need to change your attitude when things are difficult. I know that some of you do not have that option, but work with what you have. Doing something is a lot better than fretting about hardship or sorrow. If only for a few minutes, you concentrate on something else. It does make you feel better. It makes me feel better anyway.

God bless!

Love always,

Laveda D. Rockford

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rockford Smiles: Christmas at our House | Laveda D. Rockford

Thanksgiving Thought | Laveda D. Rockford

I Live For Freedom | Laveda D. Rockford