FREEDOM IS FRAGILE : A MEMORIAL DAY EXCURSION

Since I had the day off in honor of those who gave their lives for the freedoms that we cherish in the United States of America, I chose to visit downtown Dallas, Texas.

Laveda D. Rockford, author of Captive Deliverance and the screenplay YAHREH.


It was a bustling scene when I drove around the corner and under the bridge toward Dealey Plaza. Turning left, I found my first destination. I turned into the parking lot and was blessed to park underneath a shade tree.

The Dallas Holocaust Museum is packed full of information about how freedoms can be disrupted under the guise of bigotry and discrimination.

Filming The Camps from Hollywood to Nuremberg

If you haven't visited the Dallas Holocaust Museum, you should. It's an educational destination, back in time, where freedom was longed for, but was not found, where justice was prohibited, but for a time.

Tears welled up in my eyes when I heard about a child in hiding whose Mother taught her not to cry because they had to be very quiet. After they came out of hiding, she asked her Mother if it was okay to cry now. That broke my heart.

That is not the only story that will tug at your heart strings. So many people suffered.

In addition to the museum is an exhibition of 'Filming The Camps from Hollywood to Nuremberg.' It features the works of John Ford, Samuel Fuller, and George Stevens. It was very interesting to see actual documents from George Stevens describing the scene. The exhibition runs through August 3rd.

After leaving the museum, I headed to Dealey Plaza to see The Sixth Floor Museum. On the corner of the building is a plaque about the Texas School Book Depository Building.


When I arrived at The Sixth Floor Museum entrance, the line was so long that I decided to walk across the street and take a few pictures before heading back home. I plan to visit The Sixth Floor Museum on my next downtown excursion.

Laveda D. Rockford, author of Captive Deliverance and the screenplay YAHREH.

On this Memorial day I'm reminded of how freedom rings across this nation, and how fragile that is. This is the land of the free, the home of the brave. Please remember that for every freedom that we have, someone had to sacrifice for it.

May God bless America!

If you would like more information about The Dallas Holocaust Museum, here's a link to their website.
Dallas Holocaust Museum 

© 2016 Laveda D. Rockford
     Dallas, Texas





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rockford Smiles: Christmas at our House | Laveda D. Rockford

Thanksgiving Thought | Laveda D. Rockford

I Live For Freedom | Laveda D. Rockford